Scheduling a shopping trip with one of my brides prompts me to remind you that when you are going shopping for a wedding dress, there a few things to remember:
1. Wear the undergarments you believe you will wear on your big day … strapless bra, body shaper, girdle, etc. You want to be sure to have the actual look when you choose ‘the one’. No bra straps or socks showing, etc…
2. Style your hair somewhat as you will wear your hair on your wedding day so that you can see what the dress will look like with your hair (up/down/half) the way you want to wear it.
3. As much as you might like to be made up to get the full look as well, do NOT wear heavy make-up. You are trying on WHITE dresses and make-up will come off onto the gown.
4. Select only one or two of your closest friends/family members and avoid the masses … you will also avoid mass confusion!
5. If you are planning to lose weight, it will still be best to order the dress a little bigger than your goal size to take the pressure off. Wedding dresses almost always need alterations and it is easier to take in than to let out!
6. Bring the shoes you will be wearing on your wedding day … or at least a pair with the same height heel as you will be wearing. You want to be sure to get the right measurements to your boutique so they can keep it on record.
7. And browse the internet prior to your appointment. If you see something you like, bring pictures so they have a better idea of what you are looking for. It can be the top of one, the bottom of another; the shape of one, the material of another. The options are really endless.
8. And most importantly, wear a smile! Have fun with it! The plan is to only do it once, so enjoy every moment of the planning process, including dress shopping!!
PS: If you have ever wished you could get that $3500 beaded champagne gown with the long train for a mere fraction of the cost; well, breathe easy ladies, it can be done! What if I said you can get an incredible gown worth $3500 for only $253?! Would you believe me? Well, it’s been done! And you can do it too. You just have to be ready to fight for and guard your selections, drop trouble in the middle of a ballroom and have hunters bringing you gown selections … so bring everyone you can.
If you are down for ‘mass’ excitement, consider Filene’s Basement Running of the Brides in Boston, MA. Shop among hundreds of other brides in a ballroom filled with hundreds upon hundreds of brand new gowns to choose from at a mere fraction of their original cost! For this event, bring many! And I would be happy to make your arrangements and assist in any way that I can. (2013 dates not yet scheduled)
Helpful hints: wear or bring something flamboyant so that you can find each other easily in the crowds. Provide photographs of your ‘must haves’ for all of your hunters so they know what you are looking for and can help you on the hunt. And don’t take it too seriously! It’s supposed to be fun and exhilerating, not stressful! Enjoy!
And upon all else, do not settle until you couldn’t imagine yourself in anything else!
Happy Shopping Ladies!! Let me know if I can be of service!